Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, January 23, 2012

Work in Progress!

Hello everyone, so sorry I have been absent from the blog the last several days.  It seems the older the babies get the faster the time goes!  They have certainly been very busy babies and they are keeping me on my toes!

As we approach the babies' First birthday I have been busy trying to implement a few "big kid" changes into our routine, specifically when it comes to eating.  We have dropped the kids down to eating three meals a day and two snacks.  Our eating schedule looks like this most days:

6 AM Breakfast: 8 ounces formula
10 AM Morning Snack: Juice/water, cheesy eggs, Cheerios, fruit, yogurt, cereal bar
1 PM Lunch: 8 ounces formula, some kind of adult food or a solid baby food
4 PM Afternoon snack: Juice/water, cheese, goldfish, fruit, crackers
7 PM Dinner: 8 ounces formula, some kind of adult food or a solid baby food

We are working on incorporating more adult foods but it is slow going.  We had some success with pasta and spaghetti sauce yesterday.  They do not enjoy foods with a wet or slimy texture, they seem to prefer foods with a crunchy and dry texture.  I am constantly wondering if I have cut up the food too small for them to pick up or too big and it could be a choking hazard.  I always tend to air on the side of too small just in case.  Some of the adult foods they enjoy are:  Cheerios, Goldfish, cheesy eggs, cheese, cereal bars, some fruit, some pasta.  I would like to introduce them to peanut butter but I am leery.  Neither I nor Chad have any peanut or any other known food allergies, but everyone is always scared of peanuts.  Eventually I would like to also include bites of meat but I just don't think we are there yet.

I have also been working very hard to encourage the babies to drink independently out of their sippy cups. I give them their water or juice from their sippy cups at both snack times and let them drink from them on their own.  At the three mealtimes we still do bottles so I can be sure they are getting all of their formula.  They know how to drink from their sippys, but I don't think we are ready to drink solely from sippys just yet.  I keep exposing them to it and hoping it will get better and better.  Chloe just started to throw her sippy cup from her tray this morning, so we have that going on now too.  Here she is:



Soon we will be mixing in regular (cow's) milk with their formula to ease the transition from formula over to solely cow's milk by their First birthday.  We haven't done this yet, but it is next on the docket.

I want to include some pictures to give you an idea of what I am dealing with here.  This is Chloe and Brady while we were trying out noodles and spaghetti sauce:



Here is a typical afternoon snack: Juice, Cheerios, Blueberries, and Raspberries:


I always thought I would be so relieved when the babies could eat regular food with us.  Now I realize that the days of just feeding a formula bottle were actually a LOT easier!

Moving on to some fun things other than our eating escapades.  We've been having other adventures in pre-toddlerhood.  The other day THIS happened:


I have no idea who the culprit was, I just had to laugh.  Note to self:  Keep bathroom door closed!

We also recently bought something for the babies that I remember very fondly from my own childhood...balls from the grocery store!   I used to beg my Mom every time we went to the store to buy me a ball from the big, colorful bin!  The other day I bought the babies not one, but THREE grocery store balls!  They have been having a great time playing with them!  Who knew $1.50 could still bring so much joy?



Well, that is it for me, nap time will be over soon!  Have a great Monday everyone!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...